Thursday, January 2, 2014

Medieval Occupations -- The Working Class

Here we are at the working class, now, and while I was starting to write this post, I got a sudden seizure of curiosity in regards to the rank order of classes in the feudal system. That's generally what we think of when we think of 'Medieval Times'; Kings, Queens, Dukes, Knights, and Peasants. Now, obviously, specifics are dependent on exact time period -- my friend Nairam is very well read on the 11th and 12th centuries of England, for example -- but I did find a list of general stations and classes used for the feudal system in the Medieval world.

I won't write down the entire list here, but this is the gist of it:

Royalty
Clergy
Nobility
Tradesmen & Merchants
Castle Workers
Entertainers
Military
Peasantry

I'm still unsure as to why entertainers are ranked above military -- though, most higher ranking military is placed in the nobility class -- but that seems to be the way it goes in most lists I've found. I'll look into it later.

Now onto the Working Class.

Boatman -- travel by lake or by river
Coachman -- drive of a coach
Farmer
Fisherman
Gravedigger
Groom -- one who tends animals
Herdsman -- keeper of livestock
Hunter or Trapper
Messenger
Miller
Miner
Painter or Limner
Peddler -- an itinerant merchant of goods
Ratcatcher
Sailor
Seamstress
Servant -- maid, butler, attendant, steward, etc.
Stevedore -- one who loads and unloads goods from sailing ships or caravans

I personally think messenger would be a neat job. Lots of travel involved. Of course, the phrase 'shoot the messenger' does come to mind...

Dia duit,
~Penny

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! I love feedback so feel free to leave comment related to the post, or just to say hi. Dia duit!