Saturday, July 20, 2013

Dance the Night Away

See what I found! (Yes, I know I said the next post would be interesting. I lied. In advance, without knowing it. So.)

My cousins taught my brothers and sisters and I an old Regency style dance called the Dutch Skipper. We enjoyed it so much that on Celtic Day at the 2013 OYAN Summer Workshop, we taught it to some of the other attendees. Well, the idea caught on fast. Soon another OYANer taught us the Virginia Reel (or at least one version of it), our faithful Fiddling Gypsy played us a tune, and we all danced right up to midnight curfew.

Unfortunately, I did not get any video. But Emi did! Emichelle was one of the OYANers who hung out with us quite a bit, and she happened to be on hand with her camera during a round of the Virginia Reel.



If you can spot us: Dana is in his kilt, I am in my Scottish Dress, an Seph is in the tan tunic. Our Fiddling Gypsy, Firiel, is, well, fiddling. And my good friend Nairam is in the blue dress (which she made herself, by the way).

And this is the kind of fun we had at OYAN.

Dia duit,
~Penny

4 comments:

  1. What do you mean, not interesting? I want to learn how to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! At my wedding, we are so doing this kind of dancing. :D
    I've always wanted to do Regency dancing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now T just for learning the next dance which is a lot more difficult
    But hey the people on the DVD did it so it can be done (maby)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You taught us that one at the LARP party! That was very fun, if slightly repetitive.

    ReplyDelete

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! I love feedback so feel free to leave comment related to the post, or just to say hi. Dia duit!