Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October Drabble Challenge -- Day 1

Well, so here is another self imposed schedule for me to keep up, now. We'll see how I do.

To explain, basically a drabble is a short spot of fiction writing based on a keyword. I think it's anywhere from 50 to 300 or so words. What I plan on doing with my drabbles is writing from the perspective of a legendary or fairytale character, since I miss doing legend posts and such. One character in particular might pop up more than others, and that is the Gallant Little Tailor. I'm going to write a retelling of his story for NaNoWriMo this year. (Yes, I am doing it again. We'll see how far I get this time. And for those of you who thought I was writing something else for NaNo, I was, but it got too complicated, so I switched to the tailor's story.)

Now for drabble number one.

Day 1 -- Beginning.

  It seemed to him that seven at one blow was not a beginning. It was just special; an achievement. He sewed each stich with excitement and enthusiasm, running over his feat in his mind over and over. A belt. Yes, a belt, to proclaim his achievement. How many others had killed seven flies in one sweep? He wondered. Flies were such pests, one wished one could kill all of them at once.
  But seven! That was surely near enough. He had done a great service in ridding the world of seven of those little black pests. Perhaps some of the villagers would see his belt and ask him to do it again.
  At this thought, he paused. Perhaps he ought to leave a space in case he succeeded in killing more of the creatures. He glanced over to where his newly purchased jar of jam still sat on the table by the window.
  No, no new invading bugs. He returned to his needle, thread, and leather, whistling a cheerful tune.
  To him this was not a beginning, this was just a rather pleasing day. He never would have guessed what was coming next.

Dia duit,
~Penny

1 comment:

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! I love feedback so feel free to leave comment related to the post, or just to say hi. Dia duit!