Monday, September 23, 2013

September Blog Challenge -- Day 21

Alright, I give up. There is no way I'm going to stay on schedule.

Day 21 -- Someone who inspires you.

This is actually a tough one. I'm not easily inspired as much as I am encouraged. There are several key people who encourage me.... But that's not what the question is.

Let's see if I can follow the rules this once.

You know what, I think it's my Dad. When I think about it he's probably the one person who actually inspires me.

My Dad is the type of guy who always strives to do better, to be better. Excellence is his endless goal. Sometimes I think perfection is his goal, but I think that may just be the standard of comparison. He's smart enough to know perfection is unattainable, but he does try and get as close as possible. Thus inspiring excellence.

Dad is not a talker. If you didn't think the Strong and Silent archetype didn't exist, you're wrong. That's my Dad. Tall, black, and strong. He's a logical thinker and a dedicated, very hard worker. We're very different. We see things and approach problems and solutions from different perspectives. But whenever we talk about life, especially my writing life, there is something about the words he says that give me a push.

I can do it. I can achieve excellence. I'm capable perhaps not of wild fame and glory, but nonetheless great things.

A lot of times I'm plagued with thoughts of mediocrity. It's difficult for me to look at my work, myself, and sometimes my life, and see greatness. I see beauty and love and wonder, but in the kind of world we live in now, I really wonder, will it matter? Can it make a difference? What can we do for our world with the amazing talents and perspectives we have? And more so, what can I do? Do I really have anything to offer that will make a difference that will last?

My Dad tells me yes. He doesn't give me a talk about how I ought not to feel these things, and tell me I'm special and wonderful and destined for greatness. No, that's not Dad's style. In fact, it doesn't occur to him to ask those questions, because he already knows the answers.

Of course I have something to offer. Of course I'm capable, and he helps me see how. The way he speaks of schemes I would think grand and unreachable as if they were just a bit of hard work away restores hope, and actually raises my standard of what I can accomplish.

He inspires me. Whether I feel capable of achieving my dreams, I know I always have Dad's help, and that frees me to dream big. He can solve, seriously, almost any problem. He can pave a road or build a bridge to any dream I could possibly imagine. Realistically. He makes things possible, and encourages me to think in the same way.

I don't know if he knows he does this for me. I don't know if that's what he's trying to do in the moments where we're talking, or if he's just trying to give me a way to do the things I would like to do. Either way, he inspires me. To reach for excellence, to work hard, and never give up on your goals, no matter how insurmountable they seem. Every mountain can be climbed. It could be difficult and require determination, but don't every say it's impossible.

I love that about him. As I get older, I'm beginning to notice and appreciate all that my Dad has done for our family.

Love you, Dad.
 
 
Dia duit,
~Penny
 

1 comment:

Hey, thanks for visiting my blog! I love feedback so feel free to leave comment related to the post, or just to say hi. Dia duit!